The Health Research Authority (HRA)’s plans to promote transparency in research, set out in a discussion paper in May, have been strongly supported by stakeholders and the public. It will now start implementing the action plan laid out in the report.
The HRA believes fundamentally in providing important reassurances to the public on the issue of research transparency, and will:
- Implement the registration of clinical trials as a formal condition of REC approval from September 2013
- Work with partners to understand what is meant by publication and to make sure that where research is undertaken, it is subsequently published according to plans agreed with the REC at the time of approval
- Undertake an audit of completed studies to more fully understand publication rates in the UK
- Look for further ways to monitor compliance to publish within the agreed conditions of REC approval
- Explore means by which researchers, sponsors and funders will demonstrate good conduct.